Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cardboard Rocket Ship



Here is the rocket ship that I made for Conor & Cormac. Luna & I tested it out and took a trip to the moon (ha, ha, ha). We are hooked on imaginative play...

INSTRUCTIONS:
STEP 1: Materials and tools
To make this you will need;
- A large bike box.
- Misc. tools (box cutter, tape measure, straight edge, pencil)
- A little imagination

STEP 2: Construction
Begin by cutting and laying the box flat. My dimensions were based on the size of my box so you may have to make adjustments.

Using a straight edge, mark and cut out the top angles and tabs. Each panel is 20" wide because my box was 120" total.

The tabs are 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. The receiving side is 2 inches wide. I made the receiving slot cuts by just eyeing up the tab locations when I stood it up. Widen the slots a little bit to make it easier to insert the tabs.

Run a blunt tool down the cardboard to help make the folds where you want them to be.

Using any circular object you like, trace and cut out any windows you would like.

The fins are about 2 feet high with one tab the same as above. (Sorry no picture)

STEP 3: Exterior Design
I'm encouraging the boys to use their imagination to decorate the outside of the rocket. This will empower them and let them take ownership over it. Once the boys complete the exterior design, I will post photos of the final step.

For extra points I went online and found a website with a drawing of a real lunar module's cockpit. I "borrowed" a few images and printed them out.

I hope this impromptu project will give you ideas to do something with cardboard boxes. Before recycling them of course!

No comments: